Wednesday, October 22, 2008

So I Guess We're Starting a Blog...

Greetings from Portland! So, I've been thinking about this blog thing for a while. First of all, a few of my friends have blogs and I really enjoy reading them as a way to keep up with what they are doing. (You know, since pretty much everyone I know lives somewhere other than where I live.) Second, which really gets back to the first reason, is that - let's face it - I'll probably be talking a lot about my two - almost three - year old here, partly because he's my full time job right now and partly just because he's one of my favorite people. And since all of our family lives elsewhere, I thought they/you might particularly enjoy a place where they/you could go to read about the latest Ian happenings and other family adventures. So, I guess you could say this blog is especially dedicated to the Texas, Georgia and California contingents out there (you know who you are)!

So why today, you might ask? Well, I'm not sure, but here's how my day afternoon has gone so far: As some of you know, Ian is now in preschool on Mon, Wed and Fri mornings. So that means I have from approximately 8:30 am to 12:15pm of free time three days a week. And I'm pretty sure that on those days that three hours and 45 minutes of time goes by at light speed. But, I digress. So today I picked him up at 12:30 and he was his usual exuberant self - tripping over things on the playground running to me yelling, "Mommy, mommy!" when he saw me walk up. (Which, by the way is one of those things that makes up for all the frustrating parts of parenting.) That's all good until we get home and the nap wars begin.

You see, Ian has been in the unfortunate process of transitioning out of his naps. While this might be acceptable for him, I am fighting it every step of the way. So everyday we go through this ritual of going up to his room around 2pm for "rest time". If I'm lucky, I'll get a nap out of it. If I'm not (which seems more often than not these days), I get an hour of jumping up and down in his crib, doing dive bombs, taking off his clothes (including his diaper two days ago which is a new and unfortunate development) and throwing everything out of his crib - including Froggy, Grover and Kitty Cat. Just tossed out like a gallon of old ice cream. So sad.

But today - I got lucky! After an half hour or so of wild child - it was the sound I love to hear...NOTHING! So while doing some work on the computer (trying to cram for filling out my Oregon ballot - which is a post for another day), I of course had to go check out the latest postings on DCUM (still a source of constant entertainment and sometimes useful information). There I saw someone asking about how they could easily share photos with friends and family online and several people mentioned they had created blogs for their families. Well, I thought I'd just check out the site for a minute. And then before I knew it, one thing led to another and I was selecting formats, giving our blog a name and writing this post.

Alrighty then, I guess I've officially joined the blogging world. I'd like to be able to say that Jeff will also be frequently participating in providing updates - but probably not. So, I'll most likely be representing the family. Now, will this turn out to be like my gym membership last January? Possibly. But what the heck, I'll give it my best shot.

Until I write again.

No comments:

Post a Comment