Thursday, October 23, 2008

Grilled cheeeese, peeeease!


One of the things I've discovered about having a toddler (Or is he a preschooler yet? I get confused.) is that they help you see the world through a whole new lense. Things that might seem boring or even tedious to an adult are actually really interesting and fun for a kid. They seem to appreciate and find excitement in the smallest things.

Take a grilled cheese sandwich, for example. Now, first of all, don't get me wrong because no one appreciates a good grilled cheese more than I do. In fact, in my humble opinion the best grilled cheese can be found at Luna Grill in Arlington (or downtown DC location) and I think I have a few people that would back me up on that. But Ian loves grilled cheese sandwiches. He goes into a complete frenzy of excitement when I announce that we are having grilled cheese for lunch (because that's what we do on Thursdays - that's grilled cheese day). Recently, I realized that it's not perhaps as much the actual eating of the grilled cheese as it is the whole process of making it. Which is understandable when you have a gourmet chef such as myself on the job.

The other day I upped the ante by letting him start to sit on the counter while I make it so he can see the entire procedure from start to finish. And I describe it to him step by step - much like Rachael Ray would do. First, we take out the pan and apply a slow heat. Then we take out the bread (whole wheat, of course). Then we slather a bunch of "I can't believe it's not butter!!!" (insert accent here) on each piece of bread. Then it goes onto the grill pan. Then, we carefully tear up exactly two cheddar cheese slices so that it sits perfectly on top of the bread. Then we slap the second piece on top. Wait.

About now is when the arm flapping of excitement really begins. "Can I see the cheeeeese, peeease??, Can I see the cheeeese, peeeease?" So we take a peek at the cheese in the middle. Yep, still melting. And then comes the critical point - The Flip - which is preceded by, "Mommy, are you gonna flip it? Are you gonna flip it?" Yes, Ian, I'm going to flip it. "Okay!!!!! You're gonnna flip the grilled cheeeese. Yay!!!!"

A few more seconds of melting and we are ready for the grand finale of removing it from the pan to the plate and cutting - and which point he is bursting with even more excitement and ready and willing to go grab his placemat for the final presentation at the table. Another gourmet meal is complete. Now if only it came with bacon, french fries and ranch dressing for dipping like it does at Luna Grill. Yum.

Until I write again.

No comments:

Post a Comment