Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I wonder how I'll like driving when I learn how?

Okay, so I'm hoping that if I vent over this little episode it will help me move on from it - which I clearly have not done yet. So, here's the story:

The past couple of days I have been hit hard by the CCs. You know - the Curse of the Clutter. I mean, it's everywhere! We've got Christmas decorations, we've got wrapping paper on the bed upstairs, we've got bags and tissue from purchases, we've got new toys everywhere and most of all, we've got GARBAGE. That's right. You see thanks to ARCTIC BLAST 2008, our trash and recycling hasn't been picked up in nearly two weeks now (actually, make that a month for recycling because they only do that half as often). Combine that with all the extra trash you have during the holidays and well, let me just say it ain't a pretty sight. So, suffice it to say that Mama Bear has not been happy with all of the clutter in our midst. Yesterday I set out to take some steps to remedy the situation by starting to remove some Christmas decorations and wrapping paraphernalia upstairs and organize them back in boxes. Well, about two seconds into this little project it was clear that I was going to need more organizational tools at my disposal. Which is where Target comes in. Okay, hold that thought for a minute.

So, yesterday morning Jeff took his car into the dealer to get a couple of things repaired. They gave him a brand new TL (same car that I drive) as a loaner for the day, which he proceeded to drive about 1.2 seconds from the dealer to our house and park in the side parking spot of our driveway where it stayed all day until the afternoon when the following conversation took place:

Me: Hey, I'm curious how the new TL drives. If you don't mind, I think I'll take it for a spin down the road to Target. (The TL was just redesigned for 2009 so I wondered if there were many differences in the new one versus my now older model - which is really the point of why they give you a brand new TL as a loaner, right? With the hopes that maybe you'll love it and be interested in a little upgrade?)

Jeff: Sure, but it's a keyless operation so I'll need to come out and give you a little tutorial.

Me: Oh, I don't want to go through all that - never mind, I don't really need to drive it.

Jeff: Oh, it's no problem, it'll be quick. Oh but wait, I left the keys upstairs, I'll have to go get them.

Me: Oh really, never mind - this is turning into more of a production than I intended.

Jeff: No it's not - but just make sure you don't get in an accident!

Me: Okay, I'll try! (Nervous laugh.)

So we go outside and I get my little tutorial on the keyless operation as well as a few other things. A half hour or so later, I'm all set for my little jaunt to Target about a mile down the road. Jeff reenters the house and I put the car in reverse - watching for a car to pass behind me before I pull out into the street when BAM! I feel the back side of the car slam into something hard. All I recall is quickly pulling the car back up and jumping out while uttering a few choice words. It turns out that I hit a telephone poll that sits directly in the path (well, off to one side but still directly in the path) of where the car was parked in some extra pavement space that is to the side of our main driveway. It was on the very side edge of the back bumper and while it did not actually cause a dent - the gook-covered pole did a rather nice job scratching up and discoloring the shiny new silver paint job on the car. Ugh!!!! Are you kidding me??? I couldn't believe it. As you can tell, I still can't believe it! I got back in the car to pull it forward again, I think all the while saying Choice Word. Choice Word. Hit the steering wheel. Hit the steering wheel. Choice Word. Choice Word. Then I got out and ran inside yelling for Jeff to come outside and help me make sure this wasn't a bad dream. He assured me it was real.

Jeff returned the car to the dealer (which is literally across the street from the end of our street) yesterday evening and they said they'd call today with an estimate on the damage - which turned out to be just over 500 smackers. After insurance, we are hoping our portion will be just about $100, but we'll see. My glass-is-always-half-full husband is encouraging me to move on given that it's now a "sunk cost" in his mind, but let's face it - I'm not as good as he is at moving on quickly. I have to dwell on it for at least a day. Sheesh. Which is why I decided to do a little blog therapy. I will consider this my final release and plan to move on immediately upon posting.

However, to end on a more positive note: This little incident did finally encourage me to post a couple items on Craigslist today that we've been meaning to get rid of for quite a while now in hopes of helping make up the cost difference for this unfortunate episode. Also, I learned an important lesson which is that I will never again drive another vehicle that isn't mine unless I really need to. Grrrr. Okay, now deep breath. Out with the bad energy, in with the good energy. You see, I already feel much better.

Until I write again. Oh, and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment